Apply for Aerospace / Aeronautical Eng - Airframe structural design UAVs
Candidate will work as an individual contributor as part of multidisciplinary design teams and will be expected to be an authority in the detailed design of aircraft structures using composite materials and composite fabrication technologies. Candidate will be expected to support multiple simultaneous aircraft development programs as a technical resource in state of the art composite manufacturing and design as well as other light weight technologies for aircraft structures. Experience with solid modeling, drawing release, component design, design for manufacturing and hardware development and testing are a plus.
Candidate will be expected to be a principal contributor in structural design efforts to include concept generation, definition of aircraft loads and the use of classical analysis methods and FEA to size and design composite structures. Candidate will also be expected to work closely with manufacturing engineering in developing processes, technologies or products and acting as a bridge between the design team and the manufacturing team. Experience with FEA (NASTRAN, PATRAN, ANSYS, ABAQUS) and fiber placement or ply optimization software is desired. Must be able to independently size and design detailed composite ply layups for aircraft structures.
Must be a multi-tasking team player with a hands-on approach and be capable of interacting well with all organizational levels. Must be comfortable working in a team environment consisting of systems, aerospace, electrical, mechanical and software engineers, designers and program managers. Candidate must be self motivated requiring limited supervision and should be talented at building good working relationships with outside vendors and suppliers. Responsibilities may include any of the following:
* Participate in aircraft product improvement projects and R&D design projects as part of a team.
* Design aircraft structural layouts and detailed aircraft structural elements using composite structures.
* Utilize classical structural analysis, FEA and physical testing to effectively design composite aircraft structures in rapid development programs for small unmanned aircraft.
* Conduct analytical, developmental, design, and test assignments, related to unmanned aircraft structures.
* Supervise rapid prototyping, tests and evaluations.
* Interface with internal and external customers and suppliers of aircraft components and subsystems as needed.
* Design for manufacturing, maintainability and reliability, supporting airworthiness certification release.
* Provide engineering support for: airframe fabrication, field product support, technical publications, incident investigation and analysis.
* Supervise and/or prepare, present and review formal reports such as; test plans, test reports and proposals, including technical discussions and preparation of cost data.
* Participate in and be responsible for material, component and subcontractor selection.
Minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience.
* Detailed design of Aerostructures: Experience in the sizing and detailed design of airworthy structures with specific emphasis on composite design. Familiarity with the full design cycle, from concept layout, through preliminary and detailed design including loads definition and analysis of proposed structural concepts. Knowledge and understanding of various composite manufacturing processes. Experience in FEA, classical structural analysis and physical testing.
* Composites Technology: Demonstrated technical skills and know how in composites technologies as used in design, manufacturing, processes and applications. Familiarity with state of the art in composites for aircraft applications as well as a keen interest in pursuing new emerging opportunities for light weight structural applications in unmanned aircraft.
In addition to the requirements above, experience in the following is a plus:
* Aero-systems Integration: Basic engineering principles as applied to integration of electronics and sensors on aircraft. Experience with Military or Commercial Aircraft design standards. Experience with FAA flight worthy certification process is a plus.
* Design for Fabrication: Experience in design for fabrication and controlled cost. Familiarity with engineering processes pricing tools and cost optimization software.
* Solid Modeling: Demonstrated experience in solid modeling using commercial 3D CAD. Experience in concept design, detailed design, production drawings release and verification and integration with CAE tools desired. Experience in Unigraphics is preferred but not required